Turning Clay Pottery Studio opened its doors to the public on January 18, 2017. The Studio is co-owned by Sheri Sims and Jill McCullough. They learned how to “turn” clay on the potter’s wheel in 2010. They each bought a pottery wheel and both women have continued to take classes and attend workshops to increase their knowledge of all aspects of clay work. Sheri and Jill have been working on their plans for this “open access” studio for several years, with emphasis on providing a location for those who have past experience in ceramics to explore, practice and grow their pottery skills.
Jill says, “Sheri had struggled with finding a place in the area where she could practice her throwing skills, and she suggested that we develop a Studio that would provide the self-directed potter with everything needed to work with clay - wheels, slab roller, tools, kiln service, glazes - everything in fact but an apron and towel.”
“That doesn’t mean that people who are brand new to pottery are not welcome,” Sheri says. “The Studio offers classes for new students or for those who want to refresh their skills. Anthony Schumann, a Herron graduate in ceramics and sculpture, teaches monthly pottery basics classes." Sheri has lived many years in Brownsburg and is a graduate of Brownsburg High School. Jill had moved to Brownsburg after retiring from her position as an adult services librarian in Clyde, Ohio.
- Our Studio is located 12 miles west of Indianapolis in Brownsburg, Indiana - 49 S. Jefferson St., two blocks east of downtown off Main Street.
- The Studio is open six days a week: Tuesdays through Fridays from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. We are closed Sundays, with Mondays reserved for the Pottery Basics Classes. Our phone: 317-456-5223.
- Members have use of the studio's seven pottery wheels, slab roller, hand building tools and glazes. Members do not need to bring or buy tools - the Studio provides them.
- Clay and glazes are included in the membership fee.
- Kiln service is available for work made in-studio, with bisque and glaze firings weekly or as needed. The Studio has electric kilns and glaze fires at cone 5/6.
- The Studio provides a place for practiced potters to work, and for independent, self-motivated beginners to learn the craft, at their own pace, in their own time.
- The Studio owners provide access to their collection books, dvds and online resources. The ways to create with clay are endless!
Owners Sheri and Jill learn a lot from generous master potters at fantastic presentations: